Leo: The Lion
- Arieh (Heb) – the lion “lion”, the lion rending
- Al Asad (Arabic) – “the lion who rends, lays to waste”
- Pi-Mentekeon (Coptic) – plucking asunder
- Leon (Greek) – lion
- Leo (Latin) – the lion
- Leo (Arabic and Syriac) – coming vehemently as a flame
- Regulus (Heb) – treading under foot
- Zosma – shining forth, sparkling
- Sarcam – joining of wrapping together
- Denebola – the judge, the Lord who cometh
- Deneb – the judge cometh and seizes
- Al Giebha (Arabic) – the exaltation
- Minchir al Asad – the one who punishes, the tearing of the lion
- Al Defera – the enemy thrust down
- Deneb al Eced – the judge who comes and seizes violently
Judah, my son, is a young lion that has finished eating its prey. Like a lion he crouches and lies down; like a lioness—who dares to rouse him?The sceptre will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler’s staff from his descendants, until the coming of the one to whom it belongs, the one whom all nations will honour.Genesis 49:9-10
The king’s fury is like a lion’s roar; to rouse his anger is to risk your life.Proverbs 20:2
But one of the twenty-four elders said to me, “Stop weeping! Look, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the heir to David’s throne, has won the victory. He is worthy to open the scroll and its seven seals.”Then I saw a Lamb that looked as if it had been slaughtered, but it was now standing between the throne and the four living beings and among the twenty-four elders. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which represent the sevenfold Spirit of God that is sent out into every part of the earth.Revelation 5:5-6
Ps 50:3-5, 22, 110:1, Amos 1:2, 3:8, Hos 5:14, 13: 7-8,
Christ is the Lamb for believers and the Lion for the condemned
The Decans of Leo
Hydra – The Serpent
- Hydra (Heb) – He is abhorred
- Al Drian (Arabic) – the abhorred
- Al Phard (Arabic) – the separated
- Minchir al Sugia – piercing of the deceiver
And the dragon lost the battle, and he and his angels were forced out of heaven.This great dragon—the ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, the one deceiving the whole world—was thrown down to the earth with all his angels. ()Revelation12:8-9
He seized the dragon—that old serpent, who is the devil, Satan—and bound him in chains for a thousand years.
Then the devil, who had deceived them, was thrown into the fiery lake of burning sulfur, joining the beast and the false prophet. There they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.Revelation 20:2, 10
The Greek myths depicted Herakles as having the one mission, to destroy the Hydra. In the Egyptian Dendera the Lion stands directly on the Serpent above which is the name Knem meaning vanquished or conquered. The seed of the woman shall indeed crush the serpents head. ()Genesis 3:15
Crater – The Cup (of Wrath)
- Ches (Heb) – the cup
- Al Ches – the cup
For the LORD holds a cup in his hand that is full of foaming wine mixed with spices. He pours out the wine in judgment, and all the wicked must drink it, draining it to the dregs.Ps 75:8
Wake up, wake up, O Jerusalem! You have drunk the cup of the LORD’s fury. You have drunk the cup of terror, tipping out its last drops.Isa 51:17
Then a third angel followed them, shouting, “Anyone who worships the beast and his statue or who accepts his mark on the forehead or on the handmust drink the wine of God’s anger. It has been poured full strength into God’s cup of wrath. And they will be tormented with fire and burning sulphur in the presence of the holy angels and the Lamb.Revelaton 14:9-10
Corvus – The Crow or Raven
- Chiba (Heb) – the accursed, the curse afflicted (star in the eye of the Raven)
- Gorab (Arabic) – the raven
- Al Chibar – the joining together, coupled, linked (appears twice in both the Raven and the Hydra
- Minchir al Gorab – piercing of the raven
- Her-na (Egyptian) – the enemy broken
Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, shouting to the vultures flying high in the sky: “Come! Gather together for the great banquet God has prepared. Their entire army was killed by the sharp sword that came from the mouth of the one riding the white horse. And the vultures all gorged themselves on the dead bodies.Revelation 19:17,21
Ezek 39:17, Prov 30:17, 1 Sam 17:46,
- The Lion’s feet are over the head of Hydra, the serpent.
- The appearance of the Lion ushers in a great and awful sorrow and a great and glorious consummation at the same time.
- The seven seals of Revelation bears witness to the bonds (legality) of forfeit or the assurance of inheritance.
- Across multiple cultures the lion is associated with royalty and dominion, i.e. the king of the beasts.
- The golden censers of the heavenly temple pour fire on the earth in judgement; the cup or bowls of wrath are poured out.
We have covered each of the 12 Constellations of the Mazzaroth (Zodiac) and their associated Decans. Much more could be said and of course there is more detail involved. I have not given you an exhaustive list of Bible references for each constellation and its associated three decans but have merely given you some key references to point you to the related biblical themes.
Next Nugget we will look at the signs of the Mazzaroth in overview.