There have been times in the past when I have cut and pasted the thoughts of commentators and shared readers input. This is the first time I have totally given the Gem over to a reader’s comments. I do this for two reasons. One because I thought Shelley had some good things to say and also because one reader asked for more time to look at the comparison between Genesis and Luke temptations. So when Shelley sent me this yesterday I thought I would share it with you all today. Even down to the quotes at the end. Wow move over Ian, there is a new Gemmer on the block.
I have cut and pasted some thoughts to add. I was looking at Genesis and not Luke. The foundational lies are the issue, otherwise we will think (as i was taught as a child) that Jesus was tempted with paedophilia, homosexuality, mass murder etc ….endless and bizarre!
Genesis 3, is the DNA of temptation and sin,
The purpose and end result of all temptation is MORAL INDEPENDENCE FROM GOD which leads to death…–to separate us from the source of Life.
Satan is never out to make our lives better, he is out to destroy the image of God in the world and in our lives.
Satan’s character is John 8:44……liar, thief, murderer…deceiver…in Job 1 he is a devourer, when we really understand this we see temptation for what it really is. “this comes to destroy me…”
Three foundational lies
- “Did God really say…”In ‘today speak’… there are no absolutes, you make your own reality, there are exceptions. (Challenges His Word and His reality)
- “You won’t die…” Today speak …‘you will get away with it, nothing will happen, others won’t know, you are smarter than that ….’ -We are free to make our own choices, but we are not free to determine the consequences. (Challenges His sovereignty)
- “God knows that when you do…” Today speak… “God is trying to shut you down, if you follow Him, you will have a narrow life (when the opposite is true), God does not love you. You need this to be happy.” (Challenges His character)
How do we deal with temptation?
- Understand temptation is common to man. 1 Cor 10:12-14
- Flee youthful lust… Tim 2:22 (Joseph-Genesis 39)
- Heart- Guard your heart, for out it flow the issues of life. Proverbs 4:23
- Mind- Feed on the Word… either at the pigpen of temptation or the feast of the Father.
- Strength- Discern your environment. Lot (Genesis 13).
Recognise that between stimulus and response there lies our greatest power- it is the freedom to choose that which sets us apart. There is always a moment of choice!
You make me …… NO we choose! True freedom is the ability to say ‘no’
An obedient heart moves as far away from the line of compromise as is possible, a rebellious heart will live as close to the line as he is can get away with!. The line then becomes negotiable!Shelley Salthouse
It is not a matter of what we ‘don’t do’ but whom we love most that is the issue.Shelley Salthouse
We cannot stop the birds flying overhead, but we can stop them nesting in our hair!Martin Luther
The problem with Eve was that she took time to consider the possibility that the devil had a point, she let the bird land.Shelley Salthouse
Eve entered into dialogue and discussion; Jesus simply declared the truth and shooed the bird away!Shelley Salthouse
“It is written”; no debate, no discussion. Jesus started with the Word, that must be our starting point.Shelley Salthouse