I have been asked by a couple of you to address the matter of what Jesus wrote in the dust (John 8:8). I told you the Bible Gems would be interactive. There are and will be times when you (pl) ask me questions and I will just send my input to you personally. There are other times when I will include my input in a Bible Gem. This is one of those times. Another reason for my digression is that I want to give you a little more time to take a good look at John 10 before we start to look at it in detail.
- What do you think Jesus wrote in the dust when confronted with the woman’s accusers?
- Have you ever thought about it?
God has only ever written directly for mankind three times.
- The ten commandments
- The writing on the Wall “MENE, MENE, TEKEL, and PARSIN”
- What was written in the sand by Jesus.
- Theory A – One suggestion is it was linked to the 10 Commandments in parallel with the other time God wrote. That could fit the situation.
- Theory B – it is connected with a warning. When God writes directly there are always serious consequences.
- Thoery C – you fill it in.
I think it is simpler than that and in part connected to Theory A. Jesus was confronted by those accusers who want blood. They all go away after he says “”All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!” and writes in the dust twice. What if the writing was connected with what he said? I think it is most likely. I think therefore there are three possibilities but no way of us confirming or excluding them this side of heaven. Ask Jesus or John when you see them.
Possibility One: Jesus wrote out the 10 Commandments, challenging them in their hypocrisy.
Possibility Two: Jesus simply wrote out a list of the sins they were committing in the dust. Reinforced by the fact that he is saying “let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone”. That was enough to make them turn aside.
Possibility Three: Jesus is the one who knows everyone inside and out. Imagine if he were writing “words of knowledge” in the sand; exposing their own personal individual sins in front of one another. It wouldn’t take long for them to leave if that were the case. Hey this is the same One who met the woman and the well and “told her everything she ever did”.
You choose which you think.
Next Gem we will start on John 10. Don’t be afraid to interact with me.
If you judge people you will have no time to love them.Mother Theresa