according to (because of) the riches of His grace [a relative phrase of cause and effect]
which He made abound to us [and relative of intensity referring to that same grace]
in (with) wisdom and understanding [qualifying the nature of the causation]Ephesians 1:7-8
Note how many times Paul refers to this grace and God’s goodness / kindness / gifts etc.
- Praise the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ who blesses us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenlies in Christ . . .
- according to the pleasure of His will to the praise of the glory of His Grace which He graced to us . . .
- according to (because of) the riches of His grace which He made abound to us in (with) wisdom and understanding . . .
- according to His good pleasure (kindness) which He exhibited (purposed, set forth) in Him . . .
- so that we should be to the praise of His glory.
Add to the following verses from other parts of Ephesians: Eph 1:18; Eph 2:7; Eph 3:8, Eph 3:16.
- – the riches of His glorious inheritance to us . . .
- – the incredible wealth of His grace and kindness . . .
- – the endless treasures available to us in Christ . . .
- – the unlimited resources available to is in Him . . .
It is all pretty mind blowing really. No wonder Paul goes on and on about it. When you discover such an amazing treasure you want to tell the world about it. It’s like winning the lottery every day. Ah, but it is not worldly wealth we are talking about. It is something more precious and long lasting. Paul spends a significant amount of time telling the Ephesians (and us) how amazing the gifts, grace, kindness of God are toward us. Believe it, it is true. The magnitude of His grace and kindness to you ought to blow you away. It’s up to you to ponder it and let it wash over you. It may be time for that Bible study on your inheritance in Him now.
In the next Gem we will move on to the mystery of the will of God. It is actually not hidden. It is openly and plainly stated. See if you can find it before you peek.
God will not let you go. He has handcuffed himself to you in love. And he owns the only key.Max Lucado
God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn’t do.Ian Vail
Your future is assured; just go out and be yourself.Anon