What an interesting statement. Talk about overkill or playing the Joker card.
Your own law says that if two people agree about something, their witness is accepted as fact. I am one witness, and My Father who sent Me is the other.”Joh 8:17-18
Jesus uses the Torah to challenge these Teachers of the Law. Notice the way He talks to them. Your own Law says . . .
If two agree it is accepted as fact. Then notice what he does. If we were gathering witnesses we would go for the best ones we could get. If you needed representation in court or before your accusers you would want to have the best witnesses on your side. What if the President or the Prime Minister agreed with you? What if the King agreed with you or the Boss of the company?
Well Jesus said my two witnesses are Father God and Me. Namely God and Messiah. Wow, you can’t get stronger witness than that. Talk about going straight to the top. Now look at the summary I have clipped for you from these verses so you can track the point of it all.
- “Where is Your father?” they asked.
- Jesus answered, “Since you don’t know who I am, you don’t know who My Father is. . . ” Joh 8:19
- Jesus continued, “You are from below; I am from above. . . Joh 8:23
- That is why I said that you will die in your sins . . . unless you believe that I AM who I claim to be . . . ” Joh 8:24
- “Who are You?” they demanded. Jesus replied, “The One I have always claimed to be. Joh 8:25
- So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man on the cross, then you will understand that I AM He. Joh 8:28
- Jesus said to the people who believed in Him, “You are truly My disciples if you remain faithful to My teachings. Joh 8:31
- “But we are descendants of Abraham,” they said. . . Joh 8:33
- I am telling you what I saw when I was with My Father. But you are following the advice of your father.” Joh 8:38
- “Our father is Abraham!” they declared . . . Joh 8:39
- No, you are imitating your real father.” . . . Joh 8:41
- For you are the children of your father the devil . . . Joh 8:44
- The people retorted, “You Samaritan devil! . . . Joh 8:48
- Are You greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do You think You are?” Joh 8:53
- The people said, “You aren’t even fifty years old. How can You say You have seen Abraham? ” Joh 8:57
- Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I AM!” Joh 8:58
- At that point they picked up stones to throw at Him. Joh 8:59 – Ah finally they got it!
Note the two segments in 8:24 and 8:28 that I have greyed out. Meaning those words are not in the text. The original reads “I Am” only. There are no other words added as there appear in some translations.
We will deal with this amazing verse – John 8:58 – in the next Gem.
For now reread that passage with John’s themes in mind and knowing what you now know. Have fun. Did you realise that Scripture could be such fun and not boring at all?
Jesus died for people, not principles.Anon
Always be original. Anything else than your true self will become extra, unnecessary weight in the race of life.Anon