To one has been given a message of wisdom by the Spirit;
to another the ability to speak with knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit; to another miraculous results; to another prophecy; to another the ability to distinguish between spirits; to another various kinds of tongues; and to another the interpretation of tongues.1 Corinthians 12:8-10
Not only are these gifts not for us as individuals but for the body also too these gifts are to manifest God. That is why they are often referred to as “the manifestation gifts”.
- The Spirit’s presence is shown in some way in each person for the good of all. (GNB)
- The evidence of the Spirit’s presence is given to each person for the common good of everyone. (GW)
- Each person is given something to do that shows who God is: Everyone gets in on it, everyone benefits. All kinds of things are handed out by the Spirit, and to all kinds of people! (MSG)
- But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man . . . (KJV)
- And to each one is given the showing [φανερωσις] forth of the Spirit to our profit. (LITV)
The word φανερωσις [phanerōsis] means exhibition, expression, manifestation, causing something to make an appearance, to manifest something so it can be seen. Each of these gifts manifests the presence of a God in a way His God-like characteristics are made clear or made to appear. They cause in some way the more supernatural qualities of God to be seen.
Just look at the list and you can see each of these gifts manifests God in a way that is outside the normal; that’s right it is supernatural. Not natural, it is of God.
But there is controversy over these gifts. Some interpret them to be less than supernatural and more natural in their nature. Hence a translation such as the NLT produces:
- To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice;
- to another the same Spirit gives a message of special knowledge.
- The same Spirit gives great faith to another,
Notice the first three have been somewhat watered down from the supernatural perspective. But the rest are still very supernatural and hard to disguise:
- and to someone else the one Spirit gives the gift of healing.
- He gives one person the power to perform miracles,
- and another the ability to prophesy.
- He gives someone else the ability to discern whether a message is from the Spirit of God or from another spirit.
- Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages,
- while another is given the ability to interpret what is being said.
No matter how you may interpret what “languages” mean. Let’s face that fact these are supernatural, manifestation gifts.
We will deal with each of these gifts one by one over the next days.
We hear many brothers in the Church who possess prophetic gifts and who through the Spirit speak all kinds of languages. They bring to light the hidden things of men for the general benefit and declare the mysteries of God. They are spiritual because they partake of the Spirit, not because their flesh is stripped off and taken away and they have become purely spiritual.Irenaeus (AD 185)
I want my Fruits of the Spirit to exceed my Gifts of the Spirit!Judah Smith
Personally I’ve never experienced normal or stayed awake long enough to understand it.Anon