I say this as a concession, not a command. What does that mean? I suggested that you look at the various versions yesterday.
- (ASV) But this I say by way of concession, not of commandment.
- (BBE) But this I say as my opinion, and not as an order of the Lord.
- (CEV) In my opinion that is what should be done, though I don’t know of anything the Lord said about this matter.
- (GW) What I have just said is not meant as a command but as a suggestion.
- (MSG) I’m not, understand, commanding these periods of abstinence–only providing my best counsel if you should choose them.
I am offering this as suggestion, by way of input. In fact BBE CEV and MSG make it clear this is not a “thus says the Lord” statement. This is Paul’s advice, not the Lord’s command.
But remember I told you too that Paul is playing on words. I suspect he is drawing an allusion to a related word. The word for concession, indulgence or even more loosely translated “opinion” is a compound word συγγνώμη [suggnōmē] made up of συn [sun] and γνώμη from γινώσκω [ginōskō].
sun is a primary preposition denoting union; with or together, by association, companionship.
- to learn to know, come to know, get a knowledge of perceive, feel, to become known
- to know, understand, perceive, have knowledge of
- Jewish idiom for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman
- to become acquainted with, to know
The compound has the literal sense of: allow, be aware of, feel, have knowledge, perceived, be resolved, can speak, be sure, understand.
I wonder if Paul is playing on words by choosing the compound and the association with ginōskō because of the link with the idiomatic sense of sexual intercourse between a man and a woman. It is food for thought and worthy of deeper study for me anyway.
Returning to my story about the strangers who would ask what family planning methods we used. I would respond “Saya dipotong”. Which can mean either I have been “cut” or “cut off”. Many would be shocked and turn to Tania and say: has it really gone? The difference between a vasectomy and castration. To which she would reply, “No. he is just playing with you.” They would then move on to talk further on the matter but I won’t tell you anymore. These Gems are meant to be PG appropriate. But I will say the ensuing conversation would often conclude with lots of laughter.
The Greater the Pressure, The greater the Treasure!T.D. Jakes
Never Take Authority Over That For Which You Are Not Responsible.Robb Thompson