The Holy Spirit’s Response
Even as Peter was saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who were listening to the message. The Jewish believers who came with Peter were amazed that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles, too. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God. Then Peter asked, “Can anyone object to their being baptised, now that they have received the Holy Spirit just as we did?” So he gave orders for them to be baptised in the name of Jesus Christ. Afterward Cornelius asked him to stay with them for several days.Acts 10:44-48
- What does the gift of the Holy Spirit mean?
- Does it mean the gifts as in 1 Corinthians 12? Speaking in tongues and all that?
- Or does it mean they got the Holy Spirit himself?
- How do you know you have got the Holy Spirit?
- Can anyone get speaking tongues or is it only for favoured people?
- Is receiving the Holy Spirit and having the Spirit fall on you different?
- Is one being when you get the Spirit when you believe and the other this baptism in the spirit they talk about?
I can see why some people would say from this that the way we know that we are filled with the Holy Spirit is that we speak in tongues. A very prickly pineapple at best. Being a good Baptist I have always had the view that it may follow but is not necessarily essential . What do you think?
I believe you can answer those questions biblically now. You don’t need any more of my help. Anything else related to this we will leave until we come to Acts 19.
It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.Anon
As for me and my mouse, we will serve the Lord!Ian Vail
Don’t allow anybody but God to tell you what you’re worth. That’s too much power to give anyone. If people can label you, they can limit you.Ian Vail
Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is Youer than You.”Dr. Seuss
Be yourself… Everyone else is already taken.Oscar Wilde