They said to each other, “Didn’t our hearts burn within us as He talked with us on the road and explained the Scriptures to us?”Luke 24:32
The offering today is just one verse, but a significant one. What is interesting in this account is that Cleopas and his mate (wife or male friend) don’t continue by discussing the manner of His disappearance. That is not in focus. They discuss the impact on them of what has just happened and compare their feelings. Note that this verse begins with the negative Greek particle or interrogative [οὐχὶ] didn’t our hearts . . . ? The answer has to be “yes”. Did you feel it too? What happened for you as He was talking to us? Incidentally this verse includes reference to a single heart, not plural – two “hearts”. Didn’t our heart feel it? Why did they say that? Why is “heart” not plural – “hearts”?
Once again start by asking yourself the questions you have and the ones you need to ask. For instance:
- What does it mean to have a burning heart? Is it the equivalent of heartburn? I.e. Is it something bad or something good?
- Is this a rebuke to them because Jesus was chastising them for their foolishness or was it a deep heartfelt response to what He had told them?
- Or was it not so much a response to what He had said but more the fact that they had seen the Jesus risen and alive?
- Or the fact that they had had a personal encounter with Jesus and their hearts were touched?
- Or was it more the fact that He had explained the Scriptures to them and now they were excited because they understood?
- What is it that is in focus here?
- Have you ever felt your heart burn within you after a personal encounter with Jesus or with the Word of God?
- When was the last time?
- Have you ever had an experience with God/Jesus like that?
- Are you due for another experience like that?
- Or must you just wait for Him to come upon you?
- Is there something you can do about it?
- If this was more of a rebuke, have you ever experienced God’s rebuke to you?
- Was it helpful or did it leave you ashamed?
Time to get up close and personal.
I will sum up the high points in this verse in the next Gem but in the meantime interact with it yourself and more importantly, with God Himself.
A friend is someone who reaches for your hand, but touches your heart.Ian Vail
You can’t build a reputation on what you’re going to do.Henry Ford
Your Relationship With God Is Only As Deep As Your Relationship To His Word.Anon
But you also need to go beyond the Word to Him. Don’t stop at the Word of God, continue on to interact with Him.Ian Vail
You have your heads in your Bibles constantly because you think you’ll find eternal life there. But you miss the forest for the trees. These Scriptures are all about me! (MSG) (You search Scriptures daily thinking that they testify of Me and eternal life, but you fail to come to Me to get that life.)John 5:39