Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you out to preach the Good News and you did not have money, a traveler’s bag, or extra clothing, did you need anything?” “No,” they replied. “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one! For the time has come for this prophecy about Me to be fulfilled: ‘He was counted among the rebels.’ Yes, everything written about Me by the prophets will come true.” “Look, Lord,” they replied, “we have two swords among us.” “That’s enough.” He said.Luke 22:35-38
What a curious pericope to follow the prediction of Peter’s denial. Not only is the connection tenuous but the content of this section is puzzling as well. I am going to do to you what I frequently do if we strike a passage that does not appear to flow with what went before it, or with what follows it. That is give you some time to check it out and see if you can make sense of it. However, I will give you some help — in the form of questions. Deeper Bible students are familiar with Ian’s questions.
It seems this starts out with a flashback.
- The question is why? And . . . what does it connect with?
- Did they indeed need anything? Do they now?
- Is Jesus seriously suggesting the disciples take up the sword? That seems to run contrary to all He teaches.
- It is this passage that encourages numbers of zealots and revolutionaries to take up arms in the name of Jesus.
- What really is being said here? Are two swords really enough?
- Is it really so important to have a sword? Enough to sacrifice the cloak that keeps you warm at night?
- What prophecy is Jesus referring to?
It seems as though Jesus or the disciples are rebels. Hence, perhaps the need to buy swords. Well, all the pieces are laid out for you there. So now, you just need to put it all together. But there are some pieces of the puzzle that need to be interpreted correctly. You may need to sharpen your swords. Make sure you bring them with you in the days to come.
If you have no opposition in the place you serve, you’re serving in the wrong place.G. Campbell Morgan
Those who create the future are criticized by those who wish to protect the past!Anon
The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.Anon
Life is too short to hold a grudge. Let it go and free yourself to live life unburdened by the bitternesses your hold.Anon